The Story of Pearsons
Pearsons was born in 1903 when brothers Stanley and Arthur Pearson decided to acquire a small drapery business in Enfield Town. After considering many districts, they settled on a business owned by Mr William Lock, with premises situated on Church Street.
The business began as a family partnership with staff of four young sales ladies, two salesmen and one porter whose duties included making deliveries on a bicycle!
Over the years additional premises were purchased and expansions on the building took place to increase existing departments and make for more comfortable shopping conditions.
The building suffered some damage during the Second World War but a large extension in 1962 enabled the introduction of a restaurant, hair salon, food hall and shoes, as well as lift and escalator facilities. The restaurant soon became a popular venue in Enfield for evening functions.
Morleys Stores Group acquired Pearsons in 2010, guaranteeing future store development whilst retaining its traditional character and local, family-friendly status.
Today, Pearsons has spent more than a century in Church Street, in the heart of the town centre, and still prides itself as Enfields premier department store.